St. John’s School and College is recruiting for an inspirational
Headteacher for St. John’s School (Seaford, East Sussex)
St. John’s School provides specialist education that includes speech, language and occupational therapy which is integrated into the curriculum. We have an outstanding positive behaviour team, supported by clinical psychologists.
With this, St. John’s is proud to offer excellent care provision, wellbeing services and employability programmes that help our learners to develop life skills, social skills and academic outcomes relevant to their needs. We prepare them well for their transition to social care, college or other further education, and employment.
We believe that all our learners should, and can, fulfil their potential in life. Our approach is based around developing and achieving five important outcomes:
Our current Headteacher is retiring, after bringing substantial improvements to our curriculum offer, and we are looking for another similarly inspirational Headteacher to take us on the next stage of our journey.
What we need
Our ideal new Headteacher will be:
- An exceptional and dynamic individual with strong leadership skills
- A leader to a multi-professional team of experts in the special educational needs of 30 young people aged seven-19 years who have autism and other similar complex needs or behaviours
- Comfortable working with the CEO and a highly effective charity senior leadership team to grow the school to 40 learners in the next three years
- Ideally already a senior leader with substantial SEND experience (gained in a mainstream or specialist setting) and/ or have experience in leading in a similar school or college
- Possess the vision to unlock the talents of our learners and transform their lives
- An experienced and well-qualified teacher with energy and drive who will consolidate and develop the excellent work of their predecessor
- Ready to lead by example in the classroom
- Expert in the new EIF (education inspection framework) and its implications for our young people’s learning
- A provider of inspirational and vibrant leadership to a team of teachers, speech, language, and occupational therapists, medical, care, development, and support staff to maintain the highest standards of teaching, learning and care
- Able to add value and experience to the wider charity senior leadership team – so being a strong team player is vital.
Where we are
St. John’s School is located in the small seaside town of Seaford, East Sussex, adjacent to the South Downs National Park and works closely St. John’s College in Brighton & Hove. Although the School is an integral part of the wider charity, the Headteacher has their own delegated budget and reports to their own Chair and Governing Body.
When we asked our learners what they wanted from their new headteacher, they told us they wanted someone who is ‘very well qualified’ and ‘kind, mostly fun but a little strict’ and someone who ‘takes what learners say seriously‘. If you also fit these criteria, then we look forward to hearing from you.
Interviews with the governor panel will be held on the below dates:
- Thursday 10th February 2022
- Friday 11th February 2022.
The closing date for applications is Monday 24th January 2022.