Skills for Life programme elements include:
Functional skills are embedded within all learning activities.
The Skills 4 Life learning programme is delivered by a transdisciplinary team of therapists and education staff, who structure practical based teaching and learning to ensure that students develop increasing levels of independence in the performance of daily living tasks.
- Food Preparation – choosing and planning a menu, shopping for ingredients, following a recipe and preparing light snacks and meals
- Home Budgeting – Managing weekly income and expenditure
- Home Safety – Safety in the kitchen and living areas
- Travel Training (Road safety, using public transport)
- Community Access (Travel training, interaction with public amenities and services, local business
- Leisure and physical recreation – physical fitness activities, relaxation, accessing community facilities and participation in various leisure activities
- Integrated working with residential staff and close collaborative work with parents and carers ensures that these daily living skills are transferred into the home environments and sustained into adult life.