Transitioning at St. John’s
Transition can be a stressful, emotional and challenging time for parents, children and young people alike.
St. John’s has a dedicated Transition team, who will work with parents and young people to help achieve the best possible future placements, post-education.
The Transition team has strong links with the local community and outside agencies, and will work with you to explore options to support you and your young person, through the process of moving on.
Joe (not his real name) attended St. John’s School for nine years then transferred to the College for a further three years. He had an interest in cooking and café work. He enjoyed work-based learning at our on-site café Scrummies and undertook an external work placement at the Buddhist Centre, cooking lunches for the staff.
To extend his practical skills, he was supported by St. John’s to access catering courses at the Met College in Brighton. Here, he progressed, after completing the Level 1 Culinary Skills certificate, to a Level 2 Diploma in Professional Cookery. Joe also achieved qualifications in Functional Mathematics and English skills.
Helen (not her real name) attended St. John’s as a day learner for three years. During her time at St. John’s, Helen enjoyed art and Scrummies Café sessions. Post St. John’s – and with the support of her family, she has set up a micro enterprise project, designing and printing cards, which are sold in shops in the local community. She also attends Team Domenica on a supported work placement and accesses local day services.
Amin (not his real name) attended St. Johns School for three years then transferred to the College for a further four years.
During his time at the College, Amin explored the subject of Creative Media and decided that he would eventually like to find employment in this area. To achieve this aim, Amin was supported to attend The MET College in Brighton, where he successfully completed a Diploma in Creative Media Production at Level 2 and at Level 3. He also achieved the Extended Diploma in Creative Media Production.
Post St. John’s, Amin is continuing his studies undertaking a BA Hons Degree at The MET College. He moved from St. John’s residential provision into a supported flat in Brighton.
Our transition team services include:
- Working as part of the initial assessment team on arrival at St. John’s, to find out what learners’ aspirations are and to help achieve them
- Supporting learners by coordinating and leading regular transition planning meetings
- Support learners by researching, identifying and visiting future services and living arrangements in collaboration with the family and outside agencies
- Attend annual reviews to support transition planning to ensure learners aspirations are considered throughout the process and, if necessary, facilitate independent advocacy services
- Arrange alumni events for ex-learners to keep in touch. Our Alumni Facebook page can be found here