The Transition Team
We recognise that transition is a stressful, emotional and challenging time for parents, children & young people alike.
St. John’s has a dedicated transition team providing neutral and/but objective information, advice and guidance to parents and learners. Working with other professionals, they support families to investigate transition routes, opportunities, and destinations beyond St. John’s.
The transition team have strong links with the local community and outside agencies and will work with you to explore options supporting you and learners through the process of moving on.
Young Person A’s Story
A attended St. John’s School as a residential learner for five years.
During his time at school, A gained qualifications in Home Cooking Skills, a Level 1 Award in the Arts, and Functional Skills qualifications in English, Mathematics, and ICT. A also took part in an internal work experience placement during which he washed staff cars and, with support, checked the oil and water levels of their vehicles.
After leaving St. Johns, A went on to attend Barking & Dagenham College as a day learner and is currently in his second year. He is studying Maths, English, painting and decorating, life skills and, continuing the interest he displayed in motor vehicles whilst at St. John’s, through studying motor vehicle mechanics.
Young Person C’s Story
C attended St. John’s School as a residential learner for three years.
During his time at school, C gained qualifications in English and Maths together with a BTEC Award in Creative Media Production and AQA Awards in Art & Design, Design & Technology, Physical Education and Science Today. C displayed real interest in, and talent for script writing and animation and enjoys filming these.
C successfully transitioned to the Brighton campus and is now in the second year of his placement there, where he continues to follow his passion for creating animated films and movies for children as well as extending his qualifications and accreditation in English, maths, Creative Media, as well as Performing Arts. Making children’s movies and stories features strongly in his future aspirations.
Young Person B’s Story
B attended St. John’s School as a day learner for three years.
During his time at school, he gained qualifications in English and Mathematics, a qualification in Sports Leadership, a BTEC Award in Home Cooking Skills, a BTEC Certificate in Sports and Active Leisure and also completed the Asdan RoadWise course.
During his last year at St. John’s, B completed an internal work experience placement, gaining valuable workplace skills and experience in working with children and with additional needs. This helped him in making decisions about his future pathway and led to him being successful in gaining an apprenticeship at St. John’s School, working as an apprentice LSW, supported by The East Sussex College.
Our transition team provide services including:
- Working as part of the initial assessment team on arrival at St. John’s to find out what learners’ aspirations are and help achieve them.
- Facilitate the management of an independent careers services.
- Attend Annual Reviews to support transition planning to ensure learners aspirations are considered throughout the process and, if necessary, facilitate independent advocacy services.
- Coordinate the planning and facilitate the transition within the learners’ professional team. Liaising with services to ensure the transition plan is progressing within an appropriate timeframe, leading regular planning meetings if necessary.
- Support learners by researching, identifying, and visiting future services and living arrangements in collaboration with the family and outside agencies, including our own post 19 provision based in Brighton.
- Coordinate the process of assessment for outside services.
- Keep detailed destination data about the next and subsequent destinations for our young people and keep families in touch with our associated organisation Ambitions Beyond College (ABC) who are there to support families over the long-term and who can be contacted at email@example.com
- Arrange alumni events for ex-learners to keep in touch. Our Alumni Facebook page can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/StJohnsSussexAlumni